Journal of Orthopaedics Trauma Surgery and Related Research

Journal of Orthopaedics Trauma Surgery and Related Research

An Official Journal of Polish Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology

ISSN:1897-2276
e-ISSN: 2449-9145

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Management of craniocerebral trauma in Emergency Department practice

Author(s): P. GUŁA, D. LARYSZ, M. KOSZOWSKA, S. KWIATKOWSKI, M. KAŁUŻNA, J. PISAREK

Introduction: Head trauma patients constitute 25-40% of all trauma victims. Despite such a significant prevalence of the above pathology, still many controversies exist regarding both the diagnostic procedure and criteria for admission especially within operating range of hospital admission room (AR) or hospital emergency department (ED). Objective: our objective is to present a proposal of algorithm for management of a patient with head and/or craniocerebral trauma (CCT) for emergency physicians on call working in AR or ED, using available diagnostic methods. Material: Management of 715 patients with CCT treated in the ED of St. Barbara Regional Specialistic Hospital No. 5 in Sosnowiec was analyzed. Performed diagnostic procedures such as diagnostic imaging by means of head and/or spine CT scan, skull and/or spine X-ray and the ED physicians’ demanour were evaluated. Results: CCT patients constituted 33% of all trauma patients getting into the ED. In this group 70% of the patients suffered from mild or moderate head trauma and the remaining 30% referred to patients with severe CCT and/or multiorgan trauma. There were twice as many man as women among the patients. Conclusions: On the basis of analyzed variables a proposal of algorithm for management of CCT patients within the ED has been presented.


20+ Million Readerbase
Indexed in

Embase/EXPERTA MEDICA Road Directory of Open Access
Scholarly Resources
Publons MIAR GBL Ministry of Science and Higher
Education
Index Copernicus
Google Scholar citation report
Citations : 229

Journal of Orthopaedics Trauma Surgery and Related Research received 229 citations as per Google Scholar report

Journal of Orthopaedics Trauma Surgery and Related Research peer review process verified at publons
SCImago Journal & Country Rank
Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research Journal of Orthopaedics Trauma Surgery and Related Research a publication of Polish Society, is a peer-reviewed online journal with quaterly print on demand compilation of issues published.
Submit your Manuscript